Thursday 2 January 2014

Moving to rbenv and Installing Rails on LInux Mint 13

I'm back to doing a bit of Rails. As always, the world has moved on. Rails is at 4.0.2, and Ruby 2.0 is out. The Rails folks are recommending rbenv to manage different Ruby versions and their gems. I knew I still had some learning to do to be using rvm properly, so I decided to invest the learning time in learning rbenv, since that's what the mainstream was using.

First, I had to remove the lines at the end of my ~/.bashrc, ~/.profile, and ~/.bash_profile, and restart all my terminal windows.

I followed the rbenv installation instructions here: https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv#installation, including the optional ruby-build installation.

Then, I did:

rbenv install -l

that shows 2.0.0-p353 as the newest production version of MRI. So I did:

rbenv install 2.0.0-p353
rbenv rehash # Either this or the next was necessary to avoid trying to install Rails in the system gem directories.
rbenv global 2.0.0-p353
gem install rails
rbenv rehash # Don't forget this again

Now I was ready to test a new application:

rails new example
cd example
rails server

Then I pointed a browser to: http://localhost:3000, and voilà.

I'm not sure I want to leave the rbenv global in place...

No comments: